Take Your Construction Hiring to the Next Level With These 5 Tips
The construction industry averaged more than 390,000 job openings per month in 2022, the highest level on record, according to Associated Builders and Contractors. Meanwhile, industry unemployment rate of 4.6% in 2022 was the second lowest on record (2019).
With the construction industry facing a talent shortage, it’s more important than ever to have a strong hiring process in place. That’s why PeopleReady Skilled Trades is sharing our five best practices for hiring construction laborers and skilled workers. By following these best practices, you can build the perfect team and ensure your construction hiring efforts are a success.
5 Best Practices for Hiring Construction Workers
- Plan carefully. It can be tempting to take shortcuts when recruiting for your team — especially when projects are quickly ramping up. For the best outcomes, we recommend creating a comprehensive plan for construction worker hiring that outlines the specific roles, skills and qualifications needed. It’s crucial to understand and outline your current workforce needs while also considering your long-term goals. Then, include realistic timeframes for each step so you can avoid rushed decisions.
- Thoroughly screen candidates. When hiring construction laborers and skilled workers, conducting a thorough screening to assess their qualifications before interviewing is a must. This step helps save you time and money by filtering out candidates who may not be a good match early in the process. You can help guarantee success with your company’s construction hiring by partnering with a staffing expert. PeopleReady Skilled Trades performs skills and integrity tests, along with verification and onboarding processes that ensure every tradesperson we recommend meets your quality standards.
- Consider soft skills. Whether you’re hiring construction laborers or advanced tradespeople, you undoubtedly look for the technical skills and experience needed to get the job done. But don’t forget to evaluate candidates on their soft skills as well. Strong communication, teamwork and problem-solving skills are essential for success in the construction industry. At PeopleReady Skilled Trades, we’ve found that companies who focus on hiring construction workers with these soft skills report better project outcomes and fewer team conflicts.
- Conduct reference checks. One of the biggest construction hiring mistakes is not thoroughly checking references. We get it: Checking references is time-consuming and sometimes uncomfortable, and former employers may be hesitant to speak freely. However, not following up on candidate references can lead to bad hires and even liability issues. Just listening to how a reference talks about a candidate can indicate whether they will be a good fit for the role. That’s why verifying each candidate’s information is your best chance to spot red flags.
- Ensure effective onboarding. When you have a well-structured process for construction worker hiring, your new workers will be excited and eager to get started. However, if their onboarding experience is less than stellar, their excitement may quickly turn to frustration. For successful onboarding, set aside time to personally assess your company’s process. Think about whether it helps new hires fit into the company culture, understand expectations and feel supported right from the start. Onboarding also provides the perfect opportunity to introduce your company’s safety policies and training, which should always be a top priority.
These best hiring practices can help your construction company succeed in finding the right tradespeople. Now, how do you ensure that you’re attracting great candidates for your available positions while solidifying your reputation as the top choice for tradespeople seeking employment? Our article, “Construction Recruiting: How to Set Yourself Apart From the Competition,” shares strategies that can help your construction company gain a competitive edge. You’ll get valuable insights into attracting the right candidates and ultimately thriving in the construction industry. Don’t miss out on these essential tips for success in construction recruiting!
Hiring construction workers? We Can Help
If your construction worker hiring could use a boost, turn to PeopleReady Skilled Trades. Since 1987, we have been connecting companies like yours with highly qualified tradespeople who can help you complete your construction projects on time and on budget.
Ready to Find the Construction Workers You Need?