Should You Work With a Staffing Partner?
There’s no end in sight to the skilled worker shortage, making it even harder for you to hire and retain the tradespeople you need. Industry analysts have noted the overlap of record-high job openings and record-low unemployment in construction—adding up to unprecedented labor challenges for contractors and subcontractors.
- Save Time and Money. The first advantage that likely comes to mind is time savings. It can take many valuable hours to find, screen, interview, vet and hire candidates for a single position—and low application rates and competing offers can undermine these efforts. By partnering with a construction staffing expert, you’ll have peace of mind knowing the job is getting done while you focus on growing your business. And here’s a tip: make sure your staffing partner does the hard work of recruiting free of cost until you have boots on the ground.
- Access More Qualified Candidates. You can get better results—more quickly—when you tap into a staffing firm’s recruiters, processes and resources. Just as your company has developed expertise in bidding, designing and building projects, staffing partners have developed the expertise to help you find workers with the right skills, experience and work ethic. When the labor market is this tight, you need every competitive edge you can get. You can sharpen that edge by partnering with a construction staffing agency that delivers thousands of top-notch workers across trades, skill levels and U.S. markets!
- Adopt a Scalable Workforce Model. Whether you need one tradesperson for a day or an entire crew on a large, long-term project, the right staffing solution can help you scale up to complete your projects on budget and on time. Working with a construction staffing expert also frees you up to adopt a “core employee only” approach, keeping only core employees on your payroll and then tapping into the workforce of your staffing partner when you need it. With this method, you’ll reap the benefits of lower payroll costs, fewer headaches and the flexibility to ramp your workforce up or down on the fly. Talk about a win-win!
- Leverage Risk Controls. A full-service staffing solution can lighten your load—as well as your risk—by taking on employment eligibility screening and onboarding, paying wages, managing W2s and submitting payroll taxes. Your staffing partner should also perform skill checks, integrity testing and other employment verification processes to ensure workers will meet your quality standards and are ready to work. And be sure to look for a satisfaction guarantee!
- Create a True Partnership. There are added benefits when you choose just one staffing solution. You can dramatically simplify day-to-day activities with a single point of contact, along with learning just one set of policies and procedures. A one-on-one relationship can reduce confusion and service gaps, as opposed to splitting your needs among agencies. By working with a single construction staffing agency, that partner can also build a committed, more effective relationship with your firm—better understanding and planning for your upcoming needs.
Find the right staffing solution for your business
Now that you’ve considered the benefits of not going at it alone—and reasons to partner with a single construction staffing expert—we have a few tips for what to look for in a staffing partner.
- Industry experience. There are big benefits to partnering with a firm that has worked with contractors and subcontractors for decades. From the intricacies of construction trades and skill designations to specific employment regulations, safety and reporting requirements, you’ll want the peace of mind that comes from working with an experienced construction staffing agency.
- Geographic coverage. Think long-term when weighing the benefits of local, regional and national agencies. If your staffing partner has a national footprint, they’ll have you covered no matter where opportunities take you. And if they have a national account team, you can enjoy a single point of contact regardless of how many projects you have going on across the country.
- Workers across trades and skill levels. From ready-to-dispatch general laborers to master-level tradespeople, working with a single construction staffing agency is the easiest option for finding the workers you need quickly. A one-stop-shop model means you’ll have the flexibility to request workers of all skill and certification levels—without having to work with multiple vendors.
- Service model. Choosing a staffing partner with an excellent customer service team can level-up your experience, especially when you have multiple projects going on at once. And for the best experience possible, look for a partner that offers around-the-clock, 24/7 service to ensure seamless coverage.
- Commitment to safety. It’s crucial for all workers—both permanent and temporary—to take safety seriously. So, take time to select a staffing partner who makes safety a priority by providing training and standard PPE, as well as other safety-focused procedures. Also, be sure your partner will only dispatch workers with the right tools, skills and experience to get the job done safely.
- A culture of pride and respect. With skilled workers in such short supply, it’s essential to appreciate the talented, hard-working tradespeople who are committed to building a better tomorrow. A recognition program like PeopleReady Skilled Trades’ Respect the Craft program can boost engagement and retention within the current workforce—and help attract new talent to the trades.
Partner with PeopleReady Skilled Trades
For more than 30 years, PeopleReady Skilled Trades has connected contractors and subcontractors with the workers they need to complete projects on budget and on time. We work across all sectors of the industry, including residential, commercial, industrial, institutional and infrastructure. As a specialty division of PeopleReady—the largest light-industrial staffing provider in the country—we serve more than 650 markets across the U.S.
We’d love the opportunity to be your one-stop construction staffing partner!
Looking for Construction Staff?